COLOURS OF NORTH EAST
AN EVENING ON NORTH EAST AT TAJ MAHAL PALACE, MUMBAI
AN INITIATIVES OF NORTH EAST FESTIVAL
Venue: The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai
Time: 7.30 PM onwards, 17th May, 2014
Objective: Promoting culture, fabric and tourism of North East India.
On 17th May, 2014 The Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai witnessed a gala evening showcasing Colours of North East. The event was attended by top industrialists of Mumbai, Bollywood Celebrities, Socialites and media personalities. Around 400 persons attended the evening which got wide publicity in the National media. The evening started with Bihu performance by top Actress Ms. Barasharani Bishaya and Ms. Tanvi Sarma who enthralled the audience with their high energy performance.
The Programme was followed by fashion sequence – Yana Ngoba, the famous designer showcased her colourful clothing’s of entire North Eastern states with ethnic head gears and design. The crowd appreciated the variety of ethnic designs and colourful clothings presented by Yana who showcased Arunachal, Mizoram, Sikkimese and Tripuri designs.
In between the fashion sequences, unique music of North East caught attention of the crowd. First it was Naga Folk Guru Reuban Masangva in his traditional attired performed folk music then Tetseo Sisters very well-known musicians of the region performed folk numbers. Soulmate, known worldwide for the Blues music captivated the audience and finally the hearth robe of the region Mr. Zubin Garg performed his hit Assamese music.
Next on the line was Ms. Garima Saikia Garg, the designer of repute. She showcased a wonderful collection of fabric mixing with Naga, Garo and Assamese fabric suited for the classy audience. Garima got wide appreciation and her fabric was highlighted across the Mumbai based media.
DhirajDeka then showcased unique silk based design made of Muga and Endi. Dhiraj was inspired by Assamese way of design highlighted the traditional silk in a very contempory and stylist way got huge applause from the audience.
Finally it was a celebrity round which was attended by few of the biggest names in Bollywood. Bollywood starlet Kalki Koelchin famous for many Bollywood hits like Zindagi Na mile dobara, Jawani Deewani, Dev D walked the ramp with Garima Saikia Garg’s creations and got the shutterbugs moving. Kalki’s dress was talk of Mumbai for two consecutive days and was covered in all Mumbai mainstream papers like Times of India, Hindustan Times, DNA, Mid Day, Asian Age etc.
Tisca Chopra, famous for movies like Tare Zameen Par walked the ramp with Assamese mekhala got wide appreciation from crowds. Tanisha Chatterjee, BAFTA award winner actress also walked the ramp with Dhiraj Deka Design.
Adil Hussain, famous for Life of Pi, English Vinglish, Agent Vinod, etc walked the ramp with Dhiraj Deka design. Top Assamese actors like Barasharani Bishaya, Nishita Goswami, Urmila Mahanta also walked the ramp and got widespread attention.
After the end of the programme, the cocktail dinner was organised in iconic Ball room of Taj Mahal Hotel wherein stakeholder of North East interacted with the audience. Top Bollywood Producers/ Directors were present like Mohit Suri of Ashiqui-2 fame, Mr. Shivam Nayar and many more. Many Directors shown interest in exploring film shootings in North East. Many top industrialist and top corporate honchos of many companies were present like Tata Group, L&T etc.
Our main objectives were:
- To showcase top quality design and fabric of the region
- To enable high and mighty of Mumbai understanding the design and encourage them to use in movies and industrial uses
- Providing marketing linkages
- Media highlights – showcasing design and fabric
Results we have achieved so far are as follows:
- Top Assamese designs were showcased. The designs of Dhiraj Deka, showcasing mostly Assamese Silk, Garima Saikia Garg showcasing tribal designs were appreciated and liked by the audience.
- We have received letter from Dilip Mukhaijaa, reputed Hindi Producer, who have shown interest to do film shootings in Assam. He has also shown interest to used Assamese fabric in the movie. In the month of June he is coming for the shooting in the movie which has some of the most established Bollywood actor.
- The evening was attended by many top Mumbai industrialists. They have shown interest to procure our Fabric.
- Leading actress of Mumbai such as Kalki Koelchin, Tisca Chopra, Tanisha Chatterjee, Adil Hussain walked the ramp which got huge coverage all across.
- Extensive media coverage in Mumbai. Almost all top media houses of Mumbai showcased the evening show.
- Taj Group have invited us again to Taj Mahal Palace and also wanted the same programme in the launching of their new Taj Vivanta Hotel.